Here's why you must visit Nagaland!
A land engulfed in mystery, inhabited by vibrant people zealously guarding their culture – dancers, warriors, head-hunters; mountains, valleys, forests – all these forms the portrait of Nagaland the moment the word is uttered. But, from extreme mystery to hosting a globally famous cultural festival, Nagaland has come a long way over the years and etched a name for itself in the world’s tourist destination map.
The best months to visit Nagaland are between October and May when the landscape wears a green carpet and the flowers light up the skies with their bright hue.
Reasons to visit Nagaland
1. Colorful Naga Culture at Hornbill Festival – Known as the ‘festival of festivals’, the Hornbill festival is celebrated every year in December.
2. The War Cemetery in Kohima – A WWII war cemetery in the Kohima district of Nagaland. The cemetery is set in peaceful surroundings with well-manicured grassland, in which roses bloom in season.
3. Kohima Camp – which only sets up for 10 days
4. Wildlife Spotting in Intanki Wildlife Sanctuary – On a visit to this wildlife sanctuary, you can spot some of the rare, indigenous, and exotic species of Nagaland.
5. Explore the Mysticism in Mount Tiyi – One of the most mystical places in Nagaland, Mount Tiyi is also known as the ‘Mountain of Life’.
Places to visit in Nagaland
1. Kohima - Kohima, the capital of Nagaland, is one of the leading attractions in the state. Located at a height of 1500 m above sea level, Kohima has picturesque views to offer. Trekkers will love the place as there is enormous scope for trekking and camping.
Famous For: Tribes, Nature, Hornbill Festival.
Major Attractions: Japfu Peak and Dzukou Valley
2. Dimapur - Dimapur serves as the main entry point into Nagaland. This is also the commercial center of the state. Famous For: Nature,
Major Attractions: Dimapur Jain Temple and The Kachari Ruins.
3. Mokokchung - Mokokchung, considered the cultural and intellectual capital of Nagaland, is one of the most important districts in the state. Famous For: Hills, Culture, Tribes.
Major Attractions: Changkikong Range and Mokokchung Village.
5. Mon - Mon, is one of the most mystic places in Nagaland that boasts of rich tribal heritage. Famous For: Hills, Nature.
Major Attractions: Veda Peak, Shangnyu Village.
6. Phek- Rich in flora and fauna, Phek boasts of scenic landscapes. Famous For: Forests, Hills
Major Attractions: Zanibu Peak, Dzudu Lake