BOOKS, are they worth it ?
The American entrepreneur, author, motivational speaker Jim Rohn said “Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary."
I'd say: Reading makes a person a better person, a student a better & smarter student and puts the extra in ordinary
We all read books at least once in our lives, whether it's our college textbook, an interesting novel, the latest issue of our favourite magazine, or the user manual of our newest appliance
But why is it important to read books? We've all heard that reading books is a good habit, why is that?
I will try to answer that question in 10 points :
- My dad once told me,
If you bend your head to look into your phone, it says "I won't let you hold your head up high " if you bend your head to read a book, it says "I'll always make sure you hold your head up high" He said it was a joke, but that's upto you to decide
- Reading texts, guide, manuals are compulsory to fetch marks, but reading novels, magazine, bhagavath, Vedanta, bible, Quran is optional to fetch perfection in life
- Reading can be knowledgeable as well as fun.
- When you read something your mind starts creating a scenery of it in front of your eyes. It transports you to a different world, far from the worries and fear that keep you down. Your imagination can run wild, and this helps to improve our creative skills.
- Additionally, reading books can help you write better. You get a better idea of how to construct beautiful sentences. It contributes to your vocabulary, and you can start using big words to sound smart!
- The real friend in need is books indeed. A good book leaves you feeling warm, and takes you on an emotional journey.
- Exercise is to the body , reading is to the mind. Nothing like a good workout right ?
- From a basic dictionary to a big fat history textbook, Books give us information about history, philosophy, literature and basically anything you need
- The great minds of our century - APJ Abdul kalam, Bill gates, all had the habit of reading.
Something definitely worked out for them didn't it!
- Of course, people prefer E-books but Print books are better at conveying information. A study reported in the Guardian last year found that readers using a Kindle were less likely to recall events in a mystery novel than people who read the same novel in print
After modernization and google, the habit of reading books was fast disappearing. But this pandemic has reconnected many a people with books. It gives them hope, a purpose, or simply helps one pass time.
So if you're reading this, go pick a book and let it lead you!
Here's a list to help you get started:
Harry Potter :
It's not everyone's cup of tea apparently, but it's such a good series. Thought-provoking, out of this world (literally), and you'll catch all sorts of emotions.
Set of 7 books, about the wizarding world of Great Britain and particularly our boy Harry potter. Even as he escapes a dreary life and enters a world of magic, he finds trouble awaiting him. But he finds friends for life who are with him for this journey.
Little women :
It was a difficult read, but I'm sure simpler versions are being published for the readers. It's set in the 19th century, about a mother and her 4 daughters, whose father is away fighting in the army. The way these women find riches inside their heart while living in poverty is such a joyous journey, it will melt your heart. The values they uphold, the obstacles they have to tackle, and an insight into how different life was back then but yet, you relate.
A man called Ove :
This story is about a bad-tempered man named Ove, and his journey towards unexpected healing. Ove has given up on life after a tragedy in his life. But when a boisterous young family moves in next door and accidentally flattens Ove's mailbox, an unlikely friendship forms. It is a fantastic, fresh story and it definitely pulls on your heartstrings.
Trylle trilogy :
A young adult paranormal series - It follows the story of Wendy Everly (a changeling) as she meets Finn Holmes, who informs her of her inherited royal status and true identity as a member of the Trylle. When wendy realizes she has to leave her old life behind to fulfill her destiny - she is torn. Such a great read, and filled with interesting characters. They evolve, grow and you will experience it with them.