Questions To Ask Before Giving Up
“Commitment in the face of conflict produces character.” ~Unknown
We all face obstacles in pursuing our goals, whether they’re professional or personal. We think we’re on the right track but realize we’ve chosen the wrong approach. We’re enthusiastic and hard-working, but our support system disintegrates when we need them the most. We’re just about to make significant progress when we run out of time or funding. Tenacious as we may be, we all have our breaking points—that moment when the potential rewards stop justifying the effort. Usually, that’s the hump that separates your best shot and your best reality.
Before you throw in the towel and go back to something safe and far less taxing, ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you hydrated? If not, have a glass off water.
- Have you eaten in the past three hours? If not, get some food, something with protein, not just simple carbs. Perhaps some nuts or hummus?
- Have you showered in the past day? If not, take a shower right now.
- Have you stretched your legs in the past day? If not, do so right now. If you don’t have the energy for a run or trip to the gym, just walk around the block, then keep walking as long as you please. If the weather’s crap, drive to a big box store and go on a brisk walk through the aisles you normally skip.
- Have you said something nice to someone in the past day? Do so, whether online or in person. Make it genuine; wait until you see something really wonderful about someone, and tell them about it.
- Have you moved your body to music in the past day? If not, jog for the length of an EDM song at your favourite tempo, or just dance around the room for the length of an upbeat song.
- Have you cuddles a living being in the past two days? If not, do so. Don’t be afraid to ask for hugs from friends or friends pets. Most of them will enjoy the cuddles too; you’re not imposing on them.
- Have you seen a therapist in the past few days? If not, hang on until your next therapy visit and talk through things then